Various pathogens become stronger as winter falls. During this time, various eye infections also appear due to dry skin. Many people suffer from such problems. There are many reasons for red eyes. If the eyes are red very often and if they are red for a long time, you must consult a doctor without neglecting them.
Red eyes can occur for many reasons. For example: dust, microorganisms living in the damp walls of the house, parasites living in the body of pets, flower molecules, chlorine used in swimming pools, perfumes, cigarette smoke, etc. Apart from this, blunt or sharp objects can cause blood loss and redden the eyes. In addition, due to the lack of adequate treatment, the eye injury can become red due to bacterial and fungal infection in the injured eye. Regular consumption of drugs and alcohol can cause dilation of the blood vessels in the eye, causing permanent redness.
When to consult a doctor
1. Intermittent itching, burning and watery eyes.
2. If the redness in the eyes lasts more than 3 days.
3. Yellow, brown or green sticky mucus appears in the eyes.
4. If severe pain and pressure is felt in and around the eyes.
5. Fever and extreme sensitivity to light.
6. Redness and pus in the eyes of newborns and children under 6 months of age.
to be done
1. Avoiding eye irritants.
2. Soak cotton or clean cloth in cold water and shake 3-4 times a day.
3. The dampness of the house should be removed.
4. Do not rub your eyes frequently and keep your hands sterile.
5. Keeping the bed, sheets and pillowcases clean in the bedroom.
6. Taking medicines regularly as prescribed by the doctor.
Author: Physician, National Institute of Ophthalmology and Hospital, Dhaka