Home Life Style Healthy Living What a horrible moment it was

What a horrible moment it was

What a horrible moment it was

Nurul Alam went to eat at the Pizza-In restaurant in the building on Bailey Road that was burnt down. Luckily he survived. Heard the sound of cylinders exploding one after the other. He described his experience to The Independent.

The death toll in the fire that broke out in the multi-storey building on Thursday night has risen to 44. The fire was brought under control in two hours by the efforts of 13 units of the fire service, but the commercial building was burnt down.

Nurul Alam said, ‘We were thinking, what is happening, where will we go? Because many cylinders have exploded there. many We went to the top floor after the fire. There were many people together. About one to one and a half hundred people we gather there. I saw a lot of smoke behind us. Many could not climb up. He got up the way he could.’

At one point, Nurul Alam thought that he might not come back alive. So he apologized to the family members before his possible death.

Nurul Alam said, ‘The fire was coming towards us ie towards the top floor. It’s hard to tell at that point. We were hesitating whether to jump or what to do. How to live, we think we will not live anymore. Then I called my wife. Say that you forgive me. I don’t think I can go back home. I have two sons, I have given them to you. You watch them. Later I also talked to my mother. I apologize.’

The fire broke out at the Green Cozy Cottage building on Bailey Road at 10.30pm. 6 units of fire service started working at 9:56. 13 units joined one by one.

Witnesses say they suddenly heard a loud noise. In no time, the fire spread throughout the building.

No casualties were reported for the first two hours. However, the injured people were brought out from the building after 12 pm.

According to the fire service, numerous gas cylinders were stored throughout the building. Even the stairs were stocked with cylinders. As a result, the building caught fire as soon as it caught fire.

Brigadier General Main Uddin, Director General of Fire Service, said, “Except for the second floor, there were cylinders in even stairwells on every floor. It is a dangerous thing. You know what happens when the cylinder explodes in case of fire. We are investigating. Then we will determine how safe the building is.’

The police said that the building did not have adequate fire extinguishing system. DMP Commissioner Habibur Rahman said that a case will be filed against the building owner.

The DMP commissioner said, ‘It is a commercial area and around and behind but there are also residential areas. It will be seen whether the building was constructed properly, whether there is any negligence. A case will be filed at Ramna police station. The police will investigate it.’

The building houses several restaurants including Kachchi Bhai, Pizza Inn, Street Oven, Khanas. Apart from this, there are also some popular clothing stores including Elien, Closest Cloud.

The fire service has already made a five-member investigation committee to investigate the incident.

Immediately after the incident, Sheikh Hasina visited the burn institute. Samant Lal Sen. The health minister spoke to the journalists after the visit. He said that 33 people are in Dhaka Medical College Hospital and 10 people are in Sheikh Hasina Burn Institute. Hospital authorities are trying their best to deal with the situation.

The health minister said that most of them died due to airway burns. Apart from this, many died due to suffocation due to smoke.