In Nazirpur of Pirojpur, two farmers died after being electrocuted by the rat-killing wire provided to protect the boro paddy field. Two accidents occurred separately in Bara Amtala and Raghunathpur villages of Sheikhmatia Union of the upazila on Sunday afternoon.
The deceased are Liton Sheikh (45), son of deceased Aziz Sheikh of Bara Amtala village of Sheikhmatia Union and Moslem Sardar (60), son of deceased Messer Sardar of Raghunathpur village of the same union.
Selina Begum, wife of farmer Liton Sheikh, said that her husband asked her to prepare lunch on Sunday and went out for bath. At that time Boro was electrified when he saw the paddy field in front of the house. Later, he was rescued and taken to the Upazila Health Complex, where the doctor on duty declared him dead.
Doctor Ashit Kumar Mistry, the doctor on duty at the Upazila Health Complex, said, ‘He died before being brought to the hospital. He has electrocution marks on his left elbow and lower left leg.’
On the other hand, a farmer named Muslim Sardar (60) went to see the Boro paddy seed bed on Sunday morning. There, when he got seriously injured by twisting the electric wire provided to protect the paddy from rats, the locals rescued him and took him to Bagerhat District Headquarters Hospital for treatment, where the doctor on duty declared him dead.
Nazirpur Police Station OC Md. Humayun Kabir said that two farmers were reported to have died due to electrocution in Sheikhmatia Union. The police went there as soon as they got the information. Legal action in this regard is under process.