Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to step up military operations against the Palestinian armed group Hamas. Yesterday Monday morning, Netanyahu visited the war-torn Gaza and said that Israel’s military operations have not yet reached the end of the war.
According to the BBC report, Netanyahu has vowed to destroy Hamas and take back the Israeli hostages. Netanyahu said at a meeting of his Likud party on Monday that he had met with troops in Gaza. The soldiers appealed to him to continue fighting.
Netanyahu said, ‘The army has only made one request to me. And that is, so that we don’t stop and keep fighting. We will fight harder in the coming days. This will be a long fight. It has not yet reached its final stage.’
Netanyahu’s decision to step up operations comes days after US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said Israel should reduce airstrikes in Gaza.
The Israeli army has been continuously attacking Gaza since 1,200 people were killed and 240 were taken hostage in the Hamas attack that entered the southern part of Israel on October 7. According to the Gaza Ministry of Health, 20,674 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli attacks since the start of the war. Most of the victims were women and children. Half a million more people were injured.
Meanwhile, various Arab media reports have claimed that Egypt has proposed a cease-fire plan to stop the conflict between Palestine and Israel. It proposed the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners step by step during a month and a half ceasefire. After this, the Israeli operation will be suspended. However, Israel and Hamas have so far rejected the call for a ceasefire.