In Narsingdi’s Madhavadi, 6 people of the same family, including women and children, were seriously burnt in the explosion from the leakage of the illegal gas connection. This incident took place in Gadairchar area of Nuralapur Union of Sadar Upazila at around 3 am on Monday.
After the explosion, local residents rescued the injured and took them to Narsingdi Sadar Hospital, from where they were sent to Dhaka’s Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute for advanced treatment. The major injured are textile worker Shamim Mia (40), his wife Akalima Begum (35), their daughters Sanjida (18) and Rhea Moni (9), Shamim’s elder brother Ghaffar Mia (40) and younger brother Rashid Mia (32).
Family members of the injured and local residents said that for a long time, a person named Manik Mia of Algi area has been illegally connecting gas to various houses in the area under the leadership of Kuchkrimahal of that village. Recently, Manik Mia connected illegal gas to the house of a woman named Bilkis through the drain next to Shamim Mia’s house. It is believed that the gas entered the house through the leakage of illegal connection through the toilet pipe of Shamim Mia’s house. In the morning, when the stove was lit for cooking, the roof of the house vibrated and caught fire. 6 people including three brothers of the same family and their wives and daughters were injured.
Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Madhavadi Police Station. Kamruzzaman said, ‘I visited the scene after receiving the news. According to the preliminary investigation, the fire occurred due to the explosion of fuel gas. Action will be taken against the guilty based on the complaint.’