India’s Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has warned that India will take strict action against those who attack Indian-affiliated ships in the Red Sea. Indian media outlet Mint reported this information in a report.
On Tuesday, Rajnath Singh said, “Recently drone attacks have taken place on MV Chem Pluto in the Arabian Sea and MV Sai in the Red Sea. The Indian government has taken this incident very seriously. Meanwhile, the Indian Navy has increased surveillance at sea. Those who have carried out this attack will be traced even from the bottom of the sea and strict action will be taken against them.’
India-related cargo ships MV Chem Pluto and MV Sai were attacked in the northern part of the Red Sea on Saturday. Both ships had Indian crew members. MV Chem Pluto was reportedly transporting crude oil from Saudi Arabia to Mangalore. After these two attacks, tensions on this important shipping route have increased. It has also affected the global economy.
The Red Sea is one of the world’s most important waterways for the transportation of oil and liquid gas. Apart from this, a large amount of consumer goods are also transported on this route. Iran-backed Houthis began attacking cargo ships in the Red Sea after the Israel-Hamas conflict began on October 7. Since then, 12 of the world’s largest companies and oil transport companies have suspended their services through the Red Sea. These companies represent about 60 percent of global trade. As a result, the supply of products and fuel oil is being interrupted.
The US has accused Iran of attacking MV Chem Pluto. However, Tehran denied the allegations.
Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said, ‘India will be more active in ensuring security in the region and will continue to cooperate with other countries on security issues.’