The armed forces are entering the field to keep the electoral law and order situation normal for 13 days from December 29. As in the last elections, this time also the armed forces personnel will be deployed under the ‘Aid to the Civil Power’ provision to provide necessary assistance to the civil administration.
This information was given in a letter of the Election Commission (EC) given to the Principal Staff Officer of the Armed Forces Department on Monday. EC Election Management-2 Deputy Secretary Md. The letter, signed by Atiyar Rahman, also said to send an advance team of armed forces to each district to collect preliminary data on the electoral environment.
According to the letter, the armed forces have been deployed in 300 constituencies throughout Bangladesh from December 29 to January 10 under Aid to the Civil Power to ensure peace and order control before the polling, on the day of the polling and after the polling. The Election Commission has decided that it will be.
It is also said that for this purpose, following discussions with the Election Commission, a small advance team of armed forces can be sent to each district to collect preliminary data on the communication system, physical infrastructure and electoral environment conditions of the constituency a few days before the election.
According to the letter, the armed forces will be operated in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure and other laws and in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 7 and 10 of the Instruction Regarding Aid to the Civil Power issued by the Ministry of Defence. The deployed armed forces will assist the civil administration in maintaining law and order in accordance with the Criminal Procedure Code on the advice of the Executive Magistrate for election work as follows:
1. Armed forces personnel will be deployed at nodal points and convenient locations in each district, upazila, metropolitan area.
2. Members of the armed forces will be deployed in upazilas or police stations in coordination with the returning officer.
3. The Executive Magistrate will be deployed along with a team of armed forces and action will be taken as per law, rule and procedure.
4. The area wise deployment plan will be finalized as per the instructions of the concerned Returning Officer.
5. A detailed plan including duration of activities and deployment before and after polling day should be communicated.
6. According to the reality and requirements, the Returning Officer and Assistant Returning Officer shall perform other legal activities as per the request.