Hamas has responded positively to a proposal for a new ceasefire in Gaza. Qatar, an important mediating country, said this on Tuesday.
Earlier, Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani had a meeting with US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken.
At a later press conference, he said Hamas’ response to the proposal was generally positive. Blinken, meanwhile, said the proposal to which Hamas responded was prepared by Qatar, Egypt and the United States. And Israeli officials have been informed about the proposal.
The US Secretary of State, who is visiting the Middle East, said that he will discuss this with Israeli officials during his visit to Israel on Wednesday.
On October 7 last year, Israel launched a surprise attack on the Palestinian independence organization Hamas. At least 1,200 Israelis were killed in that attack. Israeli forces then launched a counter-attack on Gaza, which continues to this day. According to the Ministry of Health of Gaza, about 27,500 Palestinians have been killed so far in the Israeli attack.