Death toll rises to 131 after powerful earthquake hits northwestern China At least 1 thousand more people were injured. Authorities in the country’s Gansu province have declared the end of the rescue operation as there is no chance of survivors in the wreckage due to extreme cold.
A magnitude 6.2 earthquake hit China’s Gansu province on Monday night local time. The province’s agriculture has suffered the most. After the earthquake, one and a half lakh structures were damaged by landslides.
Local authorities said on Wednesday morning that the official death toll in Gansu has reached 131. The number of injured is 782 people. 18 people died in Qinghai. 198 people were injured.
1500 fire service personnel, 1500 police officers, more than a thousand army personnel are working to rescue the missing. Authorities say 78 people have been rescued in Gansu, but 20 people are still missing in two villages in Minhe County. , where the ground collapsed and many buildings went half underground.
Such earthquakes are a common occurrence in China. In August this year, an earthquake of magnitude 5.4 struck the eastern part of the country. No one was killed but 23 people were injured. Several buildings collapsed.
Last September, more than 60 people died in an earthquake of magnitude 6.6 in southwest China’s Sichuan Province.
Earlier, after the 2014 earthquake in China’s Yunnan province, this earthquake is said to be the worst by the authorities. More than 600 people lost their lives in the earthquake that year.
China lies on a tectonic plate where the Eurasian, Indian and Pacific plates meet. As a result, the tendency of earthquakes is high here.
Earlier in 1920, a powerful earthquake in Gansu killed more than 200,000 people. The earthquake was recorded as the world’s deadliest earthquake of the 20th century.