54 people, including women, children and two UN peacekeepers, have been killed in an attack on the border with South Sudan. It is said that this is the deadliest incident related to border disputes since 2021.
This news has been reported in a report of the news agency Reuters.
Earlier on Saturday, the attack took place in the oil-rich Abe region. It is administered by South Sudan and Sudan. Both have claimed for it.
Abyei Information Minister Bullis Koch said on Monday that armed youths from South Sudan’s Warap state attacked Abyei region last Saturday. 54 people including women, children and police officers and locals were killed in the attack. Another 64 people were injured.
Bullis coach said, ‘Due to the current security situation, there is panic in the whole area. We have imposed a curfew.’
The Abe-based United Nations Interim Security Force (UNICEF) said on Sunday that a UN base in the town of Agok was attacked. A Ghanaian peacekeeper was killed.
More violence followed a day later, UNICEF said on Monday. A Pakistani peacekeeper was killed and four of his colleagues and a civilian were injured.